LITTLE WHEEKERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OUR STAFF WELCOMES YOU!
NEW ADMINISTRATOR!!! COMET--------GOOD LUCK COMET....
BLOG SITE UPDATED
THIS BLOG SITE WAS LAST UPDATED ON TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15/09 (BsM)
SPONSOR A GUINEA PIG
Sponsor A Pig!
SIGN OUR GUESTBOOK
PLEASE STOP BY THE GUEST BOOK, & LET US KNOW THAT YOU WERE HERE. WE'D LOVE FOR YOU TO SAY HELLO. IT'S LOCATED BELOW THE LIBRARY.. (BsM)

Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig

Go down

Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig Empty Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig

Post  CometCuppyParsley Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am

One of the most annoying things I've ever seen is people rehoming their guinea pig because it bites or is too squirmy. Much of the time, the squirminess or biting is caused by the guinea pig feeling insecure because he is being held or picked up improperly. I have taken pictures of the best way(s) to pick up a guinea pig. The best rule to remember is Make the guinea pig feel secure!

Catching your guinea pig:
The way I catch my piggies is to put one hand over their shoulders so they can't run away, or I pin them gently against the wall to catch them that way. Experiment, but only to a point. Be careful, because guinea pigs are delicate and can be hurt easily.

Picking your guinea pig up:
Place your dominant hand under the guinea pig's rump. The other hand should be wrapped around the guinea pig under its front legs. A lot of guinea pigs struggle and squirm, which can make it difficult. Just lift the guinea pig quickly up so that you're holding the guinea pig securely and try not to let them fall. Here is a picture to show you what I mean:
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig Howtopickupapig

Now that you've picked the pig up, you need to be able to hold it in your arms. For the first hold, you support the guinea pig's rump with your right (or left) hand. Have your other hand on the guinea pig's back so that she will be able to have her chin in the crook of your other arm. When they are like this, guinea pigs don't usually squirm or bite because it's almost like you're giving them a hug. Here is a picture to describe what I mean:
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig Holdingaguineapigoptionone

Another way to hold guinea pigs, that I use most often, is to have them up by your shoulder. Some guinea pigs have a favorite shoulder, and will only let you hold them on that shoulder. Support the guinea pig's rump with the hand on the opposite side from the shoulder that the guinea pig is on. Have the other hand on the guinea pigs back to make sure that he doesn't tilt back too far. Do not bend over while you're holding a guinea pig like this, it could cause severe damage to the back or the guinea pig could fall. This is my guinea pigs' favorite way to be held. Here is another picture so you can see what I mean:
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig Holdingaguineapigoptiontwo

The two pig carry isn't the most comfortable for guinea pigs. This one is really only useful if you have to carry two pigs across the room. It isn't a comfortable way for them to be cuddled, so take that into consideration. The hold is the same for both pigs. I recommend having the heaviest pig in your dominant hand. Have your hand under the guinea pigs' front legs. The guinea pigs' back legs should be straddled over the inside of your elbow. Make sure that the guinea pigs' backs are pressed against your chest so that they will feel secure and safe. Here is a picture of this hold:
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig Cuddlingmorethanoneguineapig

This time Cupcake and Parsley suffered to bring you this article.
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig 100_1643
Safe Handling of a Guinea Pig 100_1652
CometCuppyParsley
CometCuppyParsley
Admin

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down